Wednesday 25 April 2012

Zytiga Outperforms Provenge


I have been through Provenge, Taxotere, and am now on Zytiga. I also have stage IV metastatic progression to the bones. All PSA numbers are relative, but I will share my progression over the past 17 months. When Casodex quit having desired effect, my PSA rose to 20, and I was placed in a Provenge study that I took part in. After concluding the Provenge injection sequence, my PSA continued to rise. After three months, it had tripled to 59, so my oncologist and I decided that Provenge was not working and decided to move to taxotere (docetaxel). My PSA dropped into the teens and stabilized until the sixth and seventh courses, when it began to rise and I was reacting ( a couple of visits to the emergency room) adversely. In May of 2011, shortly after the FDA approval of Zytiga, I started the procedure of 4 tabs each morning...etc. May 18, my PSA was 29.99, June 15, it dropped to 2.91, July it was1.74, September it was 1.12, November .83, December 1.25, and just this week it was 2.05. I have had no noticeable side effects with the Zytiga, and have had continued improvement in energy and outlook. We hope the Zytiga continues to slow the cancer, as it is much easier to manage!
I have also started on a vegetarian diet to minimize "feeding" the tumors, which research indicates meat, dairy, and sugar accomplish. This diet also increases the intake of cancer fighting Salvestrols. I am not sure how much influence Provenge has had due to our early decision to move to taxotere, but I am confidant that the Zytiga has had a direct correlation to feeling better, lower PSA, and a brighter outlook on my future.

No comments:

Post a Comment