Sunday 25 November 2012

Does Provenge Work for Men with Prostate Cancer ?

Does Provenge Work for Men with Prostate Cancer - Well the short answer is No ! There is as yet no clinical evidence for the Provenge vaccine working in practise and men treated with Provenge continue to experience rises in PSA and disease progression.

This same question was asked on a website www.prostate.net
that is promoting Provenge and other bogus treatments such as "Prost-P10X" and prostate cancer sufferers should be wary of the products peddled on this website and the information it contains which encourages allopathic approaches such as surgery radiotherapy and provenge.

So far the only testimonials relating to Provenge use appear to be negative and here is one example.

Provenge Testimonial

"I spent the day having CT and Bone scans, then talking with ONC about the results. Apparently Provenge did absolutely nothing. I have a couple of new mets and PSA has gone from 14 at time of Provenge treatment to 49 two months later. What a bummer.
That is $93,000, a bunch of time and a couple of crappy days down the drain for nothing.
Has anybody heard of Provenge doing nothing? I knew it was not a cure, but I thought it would buy me six months to a year before having to do something else.
ONC says I either need to start on Taxotere or get into a trial. I do not want to do Taxotere, but she says if I do one treatment and claim I can not tolerate it I can then start Zytiga. That is probably what I will do.
Has not been a good day.
Some days you are the pigeon and some days you are the statue. Today I know which one I am.

I know Provenge does not necessarily effect one's PSA. However, you should not get new metastases after you had it, and any bone mets you already have should not get any worse. In just two months since I was treated the metastasis I already had got worse and new ones appeared. That is a sure sign that Provenge did not work. I have spoken with two Oncs about this and they agree that this should not be happening. Regardless of what your PSA does you will not live long if you continue to get new and bigger mets. You can not sit around hoping maybe it will start working in a month or two.
Needless to say I am very disappointed that Provenge did not perform as advertised in my case. I was counting on it to give me a year or so before I had to move on to another treatment. By then I was hoping that MDV3100 would be approved and who knows what else may come along.
Knowing what I knew in March I would do it again. However, at this point it was as I said a waste of time, money, and a lot of people's efforts. All the research I did beforehand never mentioned that some people got zero benefit from it.
However, the Onc I saw today, who is the biggest Provenge guy here in the USA, told me he has about 25% of the patients he has treated get no benefit from Provenge."
Norm

No comments:

Post a Comment